Re: [6pack] Engine Preluber

To: lang@isis.mit.edu, im_sloane@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Engine Preluber
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:39:24 EST
Do what you will.  I drive my TR6 once every week and when it  starts the
likelyhood of the thrust washers being properly lubricated at a cold  start is
not very good, regardless of oil.  In will leave the car in  neutral and start
it.

The thrust washers are a "bearing" that restricts the movement of the
crankshaft fore and aft as you put in the clutch and let it back out  again.
Those
springs in the clutch pressure plate are trying to push the  crankshaft
forward and out of alignment.  The thrust washers job is to  prevent the out of
alignment.  The thrust washers are lubricated by the  engine oil.  After your
car
has sat, the engine oil drains down from the  galleries. If you put in the
clutch you are putting pressure on the thrust  washers.  When you turn the key
start you are creating the single  greatest wear point for the thrust washers
as the oil has to pump up to  them.  If you put the car in neutral with the
clutch out you are not  placing any pressure on the thrust washers and
therefore drastically reducing  the wear point at that moment as the oil
pressure
comes up.

Replacing the thrust washers is the most common internal engine repair in a
TR6 motor.  That they fail only because they are put in backwards is simply
not true.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO