RE: [6pack] Engine Preluber

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Engine Preluber
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:48:45 +0000
Actually Bob Lang offered a number of reasons why the thrust washers might
fail, not just the backwards installation theory:

<snip>
The cause for thrust washer failure is usually improper installation (the
washers are installed backwards), the motor oil maintenance is poor (long
intervals between changes or the wrong oil) and over-revving the engine.

But some folk seem to think that adding stress to the bearings by pushing in
the clutch will reduce t/w bearing lifespan. My personal feeling is that the
possibility is over-stated.
</snip>

However I cant think of a good reason to depress the clutch before starting,
for me it seems to be habit as my modern cars require it but I will try and
stop doing it in future as the arguments against it make sense to me.

Stan