Re: Weber DGV carbs

To: samuelsma@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weber DGV carbs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:16:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Harshness warning!

Your mechanic is full of $#!^ on the ZS carbs. Does he tell you WHY the
carbs are "going out of synch" or whatever? Does he tell you WHAT he does
to rememdy the problem?

The Zenith Stromberg carb is so simple, that an idiot can make them run
right _if they follow the procedure_. If they do not folliw said process,
then the carbs will "go out of adjustment" (more likely they were never in
adjustment in the first place).

Your mechanic wants to install what amounts to possible the worst solution
to the "problem"... Weber DGV's were never meant to go on TR6 motors. The
"toilet trap" intake manifold extension is a dumb idea and it will rob
your engine of power. Period. Sure they can be made to work okay and they
will "stay in tune", but once you get some miles on them, you'll have the
same problems you have now.

I would suggest that what you need to do is to get your carb shafts
checked out and re-bush them or replace the shafts as needed. I'll bet
good money that your throttle plates are sticking open becuase the shafts
are worn on the butterflies have some sort of problem and they're "hanging
up" in the bores. If that is not your problem, then the only other things
getting in the way of your motoring enjoyment/bliss is either the
thermo-thingie (senior moment!) or the linkage is hanging up.

Also - make absolutely certain that your ignition system is 100% before
you start throwing money at the carbs. Don't laugh, we've all made that
mistake at least once.

I can go on on the topic, but I'll spare the list.

I'm serious - why throw good money into a bad solution? yes, there are
folks on this list that have DGV's and they work great and are reliable...
but how did they get there? I'd throw a couple of hundred at new throttle
shafts and use the leftover $400 or so to buy gas and enjoy my TR6.

regards,
rml
Street TR6 with stock Z.S. carbs and 130k miles
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx