Weber DGV carbs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Weber DGV carbs
From: samuelsma@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:14:01 -0500
Listers:

For those who don't remember, I have a very nice '76 with upgraded motor,
suspension, interior, rust-free body and chassis, etc.  Since I bought the car,
however, it has had periods of running roughly related to carburetion (twin
Z-Ss).  I tinkered for a while and then had my service tech tune them, with
good results for a week or so.  Then they went off-song again, and he did some
additional repairs and the car ran well for a few days.  Now it is running
rough again.   He assured me that he can find the problem and repair it, but I
asked a broader question:  Is there a better carburetion system for this car in
order to maximize reliability and tunability?  I sold my '70 PI because I could
never get it to run right and no one could fix the PI system.  Now, I have a
really special example of a TR6 in my favorite color and all my dream
modifications, and I still can't get it to run right.

Anyway, he has a lot of Weber experience and suggested a pair of DGVs (3236
model) from TRF as the absolute best solution to the problem.  He explained
that he thinks that the Zenith Strombergs can be rebuilt with reasonable
reliability, but that they will always be subject to coming out of tune and
that they won't ever earn my confidence the way the Webers would.  I requested
a level of reliability that would allow me to take the car on a trip of a few
days without having to make carb adjustments or worse.  The reliabiliity of the
rest of the car is easily at this level.

With that lengthy preamble, what is the opinion of the list members on a Weber
DGV conversion?  The motor has an upgraded cam, 9.5 to 1 compression, port
work, headers, electronic ignition, and makes about 145 hp at the flywheel.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
CF 57044U