RE: Weber DGV carbs

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, samuelsma <samuelsma@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Weber DGV carbs
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:43:46 -0700
Have to agree with Bob here. The manifold for the DGV conversion for the TR6
is really horrible. One other thing this manifold can do that Bob did not
mention is that fuel can pool in the lowest part and then get sucked in on
start up. Washing down the cylinder walls with gasoline. This accelerates
cylinder wear and dillutes the oil. Beither are good.

Yes, when ZS's are worn out they will continue to falter like described.
Replacing worn out ZS's with new carbs, whether they are Webers, SU's or even
new ZS's will make a huge difference. Not because the old ZS's are junk, they
are just worn out. But when properly and completely rebuilt, they can hold a
constant state of tune for a very long time. When I still had twin carbs on my
6 (now has triple ZS's)they held their tune for seven years. All I did was
check the damper oil now and then. I also drove the car more than my "daily
driver" then, which I guess made my TR6 my daily driver. :o)

Bob also brings up another point that needs seconding. The ignition system.
One of the common sayings for these cars is that 90 percent of carb problems
are electrical. Of course, if your carbs are that worn out, you could fall
into that 10 percent range of actual carb problems.

Cheers.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)