RE: Battery Box Blues

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Battery Box Blues
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:15:34 -0500
Definitely agree with the tuition part. I took an intro to welding class
this winter, 10 weeks, 3 hours per week. We spent the 1st few weeks
doing some stick welding and gas/plasma cutting which was interesting
and educational and then I spent the rest of the time using a portable
MIG welder similar to what I was expecting to buy and practicing on thin
metal similar to the TR6 body and frame.

While it is fairly easy to pick up a MIG welder, follow some basic
instructions and weld some 1/8th plate together on the bench, there is a
great deal of technique and practice needed to weld thin metal and do it
in situ on rusty surfaces, often vertical. After you have mastered
welding horizontal, it is like starting all over again to weld vertical,
and vertical up is different from vertical down.

I paid $300 for the 10 weeks and I plan to go back for the advanced
class and do another 10 weeks of MIG and a little TIG before I tackle a
few projects, including...... my battery box..

I still have not bought the welder yet but I am looking at the Lincoln
ST-135 Plus. This runs on 110 volts and has variable output. I found
that when welding thin metal you really need to fine tune the current
(voltage ?), the wire speed and your hand speed across the weld with the
travel speed and wire speed faster than I would have expected on thin
metal to allow you to get sufficient filler into the weld and not blow a
hole in the metal. If you don't get this combo right you will make a
mess. Plan to spend several hours practicing on some test projects
before going near the TR.

Stan