Replacing front calipers with Wilwood Superlite II

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing front calipers with Wilwood Superlite II
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:54:28 -0500
All,

Sorry if I have been bombing the list recently; I think I must be smelling
Spring in the air.

Topic for today's discussion is replacing the front stock brake calipers
with 4-pot Wilwood Superlite II calipers (about $210/pr).

The stock disk has a thickness of 0.5".  The stock caliper weighs 10.5lbs,
has 3.5" bolt mount centers, with 1.024" mount offset.

The Wilwood Superlite II weighs 3.75lbs, 3.5" bolt mount centers, and for a
disk with 0.5" thickness, has 1.151" mount offset.

Can I shim the Superlite II 1.151" - 1.024" = 0.127"?  If so, how?  Could I
use washers, or would I have to machine a plate from aluminum stock?  This
would then be a bolt-on job, at considerably less cost and weight than using
the Toyota pick-up truck or Jaguar XJ-6 calipers.  Looks cooler too.

Shane Ingate, with Spring Fever in Maryland