RE:headers

To: dmahlmeister@peoplepc.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:headers
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:07:35 EDT
Dave IMHO you can produce power with the stock manifold.  I might be totally
off base and might be the only one with this opinion.  My thinking is that it
depends where you want your power range to be.  If you plan on running flat
out high RPM on a road course then yes you will get the maximum performance
out of a good set of free flow headers, same with Webber's.  I built my
engine wanting to keep the torque curve a little lower because we like to
autox every now and then while still driving it on the street.  I've got more
power than I can put to the road with my stock differential.  I can run
respectively at most event.  We ran a 15.53 second 1/4 mile and placed 4th
overall at the TRF Summer Party this year so the stock exhaust manifold is
not killing us.  Would I have more power with a header? Probably.  Would it
help me in the power range that I want to run in?  I don't know.  Someday I
will get the privilege run with Bob and his headers and he will probably
clean my clock:), but my point is that those stock cast iron manifolds don't
turn your car into a slug.  I will now put my nomex on.

Marty Sukey