RE: Adjustable camshaft

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com (Navarrette, Vance)
Subject: RE: Adjustable camshaft
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
Vance---I've never tried this myself, and am in no position to doubt Mr.
Vizard. It is written that one can "turn over the cam sprocket" and
there will be a timing difference of "one or two degrees." (Kastner)   I
can visualize this, but don't see how one could then move to different
teeth and come up with combinations. I would think that either the stock
timing location that gives a straight up "0" setting, or the "reversed"
sprocket with it's one or two degrees of offset are the only choices
here.
It could also be that I am not following the proposed line of thought
that is suggested by Vizard.

Other options would be elongating the cam sprocket bolt holes, eccentric
bushings, or making an off-set key for the crank. One then would need
access to a dyno to know if power improvements are being made.

Still, you made a good point in bringing up this possibility, should one
find that doing the sprocket reversal gets one closer to whatever is
carded as correct for the cam.

Thanks,

Dick