Re: Possible engine swap for Tr6

To: jimmble@adelphia.net (James Franks)
Subject: Re: Possible engine swap for Tr6
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
James Franks says:

"Sorry, Dick, but I must disagree", referring to my reply on Ryan's
wanting to put a killer engine in a TR6, using the stock drive train.
First, I take no offense to anyone disagreeing with me. Much of what we
respond to is subjective, with simply too many variables to include
"what could happen, if....."

Let's see on what we can agree on. I believe cars built strictly for
racing must carry a different set of standards. Continually subjected to
full power acceleration, and usually when coming out of corners,
possible bottoming out of the rear suspension can place undue stress on
any axle. This is generally not the case for a street machine.

Horsepower is not what wrings off axles, or tears up the driveline.
Torque does. Torque is at its greatest in the lower gears, and judicious
use of this will keep even stock drive train parts together.  I do not
recommend adding gobs of power to any drive train that already has
100,000 miles on it. Tolerances that accumulate  can cause whip, and
will break their components. Properly rebuilt parts, as when new, give
great service.

I'm not sure where references to "thrust washers and clutches" fit here.
Personally, I have never had a problem with either, throw out bearings
excepted. This is going back 29 years, and now over 300,000 miles. Same
tranny, and diff.. and admittedly, both are now tired.

I enjoy discussions about modified Triumphs, and would like to see more
of these. We don't even have to agree!

Dick Taylor
'73