Re: possible engine swap for TR6

To: James Franks <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: possible engine swap for TR6
From: Ed McGuirk <emcguirk@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:35:18 -0400
Porsche does seem to have their turbos dialed in fairly well but very few
cars can remain smooth as they approach 10 PSI. I doubt there are any with
more than 10 PSI. If you want to see smooth I can brag about my
supercharged MR2. It's bumped from stock 8 PSI up to 12 PSI now and it
should be getting about 170 HP from 1.6 liters. My problem is  that as you
increase boost on the supercharger the torque peak moves down in RPM and
you need to change the cam to move the HP back up the RPM to where it
belongs. The nice thing is, that change makes even more HP.

I have no problem with turbos at the 5 PSI that most other cars use. They
work great there but if you get carried away by big numbers you need big
boost and the powerband gets narrow and it lags.

If you want stone simple in a TR6 you might try a big engine with a carb
but if you also want light weight and big HP you almost have to go with
some kind of forced induction. You can make a carb work with forced
induction but fuel injection will be easier to tune. That's expensive and
complicated but if you want to do a transplant, money and complications
don't scare you.   ;-)

I think the only non boosted carb engine worth playing with is the aluminum
Rover engine. I think you can get one up to 4.5 Liters and it should be
pretty light. Is there any other aluminum engine over 3.0 Liters with a
carb? (once you get involved with MegaSquirt fuel injection (cheap), a lot
more engines seem useable)

Ed McGuirk