Re: possible engine swap for TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: possible engine swap for TR6
From: Ed McGuirk <emcguirk@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:18:21 -0400
I disagree, I have come to dislike turbos lately. I think the only reason
they are so common is because they are cheaper than superchargers. And
that's true only because there are so many more of them. They certainly use
a lot more high tech materials than a supercharger.

Yes turbos are more efficient but a good intercooler nullifies that
advantage. Positive displacement superchargers give a beautiful fat
powerband that you just can't get from a turbo. A lot of people are
beginning to get tired of project cars that get unimaginable HP levels that
come on so suddenly that nobody can use it outside of a drag strip.

My opinion is that positive displacement superchargers are better until you
need more than 15 PSI of boost. I am envious of that supercharger you got
your hands on.

I also believe that a good supercharger, a large intercooler, electronic
engine management, and probably a cam can almost always get 250 HP from 2.5
Liters. It would even still look kinda like a Triumph under the hood.

Ed McGuirk