2000-register

Re: Various

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Various
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:47:54 +0100 (MET)
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, you wrote:

> You get a much tighter fit with the polyurethane bushes.
>
> I know that this is a slight problem for racing Triumphs,

Removing the slack in the rack is pretty important for getting precise
steering. Just tightening the clamps will not do.

> and I have seen
> brackets welded to the rack so that there is no slack at all... :-)

No need to destroy the rack by welding, the aluminum solid clamps will do
just fine.

> Not
> very comfortable to drive, though, because you can feel any vibration from
> the wheels

I find it comfortable enough, but you will notice that the tolerances
towards wheel and tyre balance, straightness and alignment will be
significantly lower. Rim wobble should be kept well below 0.5 mm, the
standard setup will tolerate 1.0 mm.

Slackness in wheel bearings and the steering mechanism will also be much
more critical with a solid rack.

Using the quick rack, the sensitivity is amplified.

> and I think that you will get more wear on the column joints
> and rack pinion.

Probably, but if the wheels are really straight and balanced it should
not be too bad.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway