Re: Experiences racing at Marlboro Maryland in the 60s

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Experiences racing at Marlboro Maryland in the 60s
From: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 06:19:39 -0400
I saw Charlie Kolb win a Marlboro six hour in a Porsche Carrera 6, and saw
Jackie Stewart, Sir John Whitmore and Mike Beckwith drive Lotus Cortinas
there.  Even got to see Colin Chapman there.  The annual 12 hour, along with
the Lime Rock Little Lemans, was the predecessor to the Trans-Am series, and
as a boy, was my only chance to see the stars I read about in the magazines
of the day.

I also saw Glen Guthrie win the final stock car race on the Marlboro oval.
It was a Wednesday night, and it had been more than a full season since the
last stock car race there.  They used to run stock car races on the oval
once a week, but had stopped.  Anyway, in the final season, they tried for a
revival, and with cooperation from Old Dominion and Beltsville Speedways,
tried to establish 3 weekly events.  Marlboro Wednesday night, Beltsville
Friday night, and Old Dominion Saturday night.. same cars and drivers.  The
first Wednesday night at Marlboro was a tough one.  The track lights keep
blowing a fuse, and the track would go dark about every 10 minutes or so,
sometimes in the middle of a race.  There was also a curfew that was too
early.  They barely got the program in, and it wasn't repeated.  The track
closed shortly after, as did Beltsville Speedway.  Red's Kagle was the hot
shoe back then, and I saw Richard Petty drive at Beltsville, but not at
Marlboro.

The grandstand was a wooden affair, and is still there.  I was always the
first person there so I could get the top row of the grandstand.  If you got
the top row of the grandstand, you could look out the back and see the
"boot".  The only part of the track you couldn't see was the hairpin
lefthander to the far right.

They started the 12 hour with a true Lemans start, with Tex Hopkins jumping
as described by others.  Cars lined up on the front straight with their
tails to the guardrail, and drivers across the track.

When the road coarse was used, the guardrail in the first and second turns
of the oval were removed.  Cars crossed the start finish line, went up the
banking in the first turn, launched into the air and landed on the road
coarse.  It was a good show.  The pits were also right in front of the
grandstand, and the paddock was in the oval.  What a difference from modern
road course racing where you see one or two turns at best.

The refrigerator bowl for small sedans in the winter was also something to
see.