Re: UNITE!!

To: vinttr4@forbin.com
Subject: Re: UNITE!!
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:34:49 PDT
Jack W Drews wrote:

> Drivers of the world, UNITE!!

Aha! A rabble rouser! ;=)

> Why should we little guys pay to race at large spectator events, when
> those rich organizers rake in all the dough?

Because they can get away with it, that's why.

> If the Teamsters can hold UPS hostage for a better deal, why can't we?

Because they don't hire us.  We pay them, remember?  I wonder if there's
a trade union for Performance Artists.  We are presenting kinetic
sculpture and performing antics for the entertainment of the masses.  We
could get a sympathy strike by the San Francisco Mime Troup to stand in
front of Steve Earle's trailer silently badmouthing him.  That would be
a hoot.

> Do you suppose that the Teamsters would lend us an organizer?

No, NO! ANYTHING but that. You want your sister to end up in cement? ;=)

> Of course, those scabs with Ferraris and CanAms would probably spoil the
> whole deal by crossing the picket lines.....

Exactly right.  With 5 times as many entrants as grid spots, even if 300
of us went on strike, Steve Earle would have the other 1200 entrants to
fill his 300 grid spots at the Hysterics.  There are guys who would pay
just about anything to get a car into the Historics.  It's a grim deal.