Newbie racer looking for advice on what to buy

To: "vintage-race@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <vintage-race@triumph.cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: Newbie racer looking for advice on what to buy
From: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:37:01 -0500
I've been doing parking lot autocrosses for 2 years and got hooked on road
racing at an on track autocross at Blackhawk Farms this year.  The SCCA (or
Midwestern Council) IT and FV classes looked like a cheap way of getting into
road racing but that involves a trailer, tow vehicle and going through lot's of
tires.  I guess my search has turned to looking for an older street car that I
can autocross and run in vintage races in the Midwest.  The budget says $10k or
less and leaves room to upgrade the suspension and install safety gear if it
doesn't already have it.  I'm looking more towards dependability than outright
speed.   Any suggestions or leads?  So far older Corvettes, Mustangs, 240z's,
Datsun Roadsters and MG's have been suggested.

Thanks for your time,
Jeff
cashmo@execpc.com