Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods

To: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:20:26 -0500
Jarl/Carol wrote:

> Jim Hill wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of building a vintage race motor for my TR6, and
> > I'm wondering what the current wisdom is regarding pistons and rods.
> >
> > I've ordered Carillo rods & Cosworth pistons from TRF, but both are
> > back-ordered with uncertain delivery dates. And, of course, both are
> > more than a tad pricey.
>
> Jim, in my opinion, using Cosworth/Carillo or similar modern parts,
> you're not building a "vintage race motor" but a race motor to use in
> vintage races. Those of us who drive cars from the early 50s could
> double our horsepower by using modern parts and technology, but no
> matter how much I try to believe somone when they say it is only done to
> improve reliability and safety, it just won't wash. Taking the path
> you're taking, in my book you're a vintage RACER instead of a VINTAGE
> racer. If that's what you want to do, go for it, but don't expect me to
> admire your choices or approve of them. Jarl de Boer
Hi all:
Jim, please understand, this isn't directed at you. I wish you well with
your project, but Jarl/Carol's comment is right on target and food for
thought.
For instance:
Additionally, the other components (primarily suspension, but also
brakes, gearboxes, etc.)then in turn have to be upgraded or at least
"restored", lest they suffer failures due to the increased stress, and
it becomes a vicious circle. Where do you draw the line? I think it's a
personal thing, but it may limit your choice of venues. (However, with
the recent turn of events, looks like maybe not...I guess the trend is
"anything goes") But we "purists" don"t CARE who wins or how fast we can
go. You can't show up at a VSCCA event and expect a trophy for first
place, no matter HOW BIG your motor is, or how many Carillo rods you
have. Great bench racing talk, however, I suppose. BUT Y'know, they
aren't making these cars anymore. Years ago we thought we'd never run
out of Giuliettas. Good examples of unrestored cars are in demand now.
Why? 'Cause they haven't been butchered, overrestored, modified or
wrecked. It hurts to see a car you first saw as "original" turned into a
flaired and chaired wonder. Just stop and think before you get out the
sawzall...