Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods

To: Jim Hill <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 17:19:33 -0800
Jim Hill wrote:

> I'm in the process of building a vintage race motor for my TR6, and
> I'm wondering what the current wisdom is regarding pistons and rods.
>
> I've ordered Carillo rods & Cosworth pistons from TRF, but both are
> back-ordered with uncertain delivery dates. And, of course, both are
> more than a tad pricey.

Jim, in my opinion, using Cosworth/Carillo or similar modern parts,
you're not building a "vintage race motor" but a race motor to use in
vintage races. Those of us who drive cars from the early 50s could
double our horsepower by using modern parts and technology, but no
matter how much I try to believe somone when they say it is only done to
improve reliability and safety, it just won't wash. Taking the path
you're taking, in my book you're a vintage RACER instead of a VINTAGE
racer. If that's what you want to do, go for it, but don't expect me to
admire your choices or approve of them. Jarl de Boer