Re: [TR] Sway Bar

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Sway Bar
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:31:36 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2007 5:08:21 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:
> Gary (whose last name I've forgotten - Sorry !) sent me a copy of an old
> Car
> and Driver article that noted "... [it] would lure you into a corner all
> cozily understeering the way you'd expect from a car with 2-liters worth of
> good stout cast iron way up front, then throw up it's hands and bumble off
> backwards."  To me, that is a wonderful description of a stock TR3's
> handling.  IMO the front sway bar does wonders for the "throw up it's hands"
> part, and the rear sway bar helps take care of the "cozily understeering"
> part.

What's happening there is the car understeers up to the point that the rear
axle contacts the frame.  When that happens the inside tire lifts and there is
a quantum change in the behaviour of the suspension.  Sway bars will reduce
body roll moving this point of contact to a point beyond where the tires loose
adhesion.

If you want some real fun try the rear bar only.  When I ordered the bars for
my TR4 I received the rear first and the front was backordered.  I grew
impatient so I installed the rear bar.  I found I could pull a U turn in a two
lane
road with ease.  Fun.  Treacherous, but fun.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org