Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?

To: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>, triumphs
Subject: Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:48:25 -0600
Geo Hahn wrote:

> I also use a plywood air dam to throw air up against the lower third
> of the radiator.  Can't prove it helps but I think it does.  Anyway, I
> live in a hot enough place I will try almost anything (also use
> electric helper fans and on the TR4 an overflow bottle).

That's a good idea. I have a home-made aluminum sheet radiator shroud
for the TR4, and it seems to do a terrific job getting more air through
the radiator. I replaced the original longneck radiator with crankhole
with a later neckless radiator at the same time, so it's hard to say
which made more of a difference. But I'm running an original curvy flat
4-blade fan and it stays cool in traffic, so I haven't needed to install
the yellow fan hanging on the wall. Then again, Denver doesn't have your
desert temps.

A couple weeks back I had a vapor lock problem (I think) when I tried to
go up Pikes Peak with the boys, temps in the 90's even at that altitude.
We made it 1/4 mile past the gate, tried two times, stalled out
repeatedly and when I popped the gas cap it gasped bigtime. But it ran
fine as soon as I pointed back downhill. Also sometimes after a short
grocery stop the car runs really ragged for a minute. I started
wondering if my carb bowls are hotter now that there's less cool air
wafting around the scrappy old cardboard shroud and the engine
compartment. I'm thinking of making a fresh air intake and heat shield
for the carbs -- it looked like my PO might have had a similar intake in
the old cardboard shroud from his racing days in the mid-60's. But a
scoop for the bottom sounds like a good idea too. What do you think?

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2