Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:44:14 -0700
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>What  'improvements' to a Triumph (used as a daily driver and not concerned
>with originality)

Except as noted, all changes made to both the TR3A and TR4.

I added a cigarette lighter in a discreet spot well under the drivers
side dash. Used as an accessory plug for 2-way radio, 12V impact wrench,
camera battery charger and the air compressor you'll need to carry to
fully inflate your spare tire if you hope to drive on it.  You may
wonder why you would carry a partially-inflated spare.

Also have a hidden switch that disables the ignition.  Works by
grounding the points (rather than interrupting any current) so I think
it would fool a mischief maker for a little while at least as the engine
cannot be started with the usual hot-wire.

I also use a plywood air dam to throw air up against the lower third of
the radiator.  Can't prove it helps but I think it does.  Anyway, I live
in a hot enough place I will try almost anything (also use electric
helper fans and on the TR4 an overflow bottle).

In the TR3A boot I have a sheet of thin lauan plywood that lies on top
of the side curtains (when they're in there) so I can pile other stuff
on top of them with damaging the plastic windows.

In the TR4 boot I have a thin wooden box that contains the top so it can
be at the bottom of everything but undamaged.

Have a spare TR4 top with no back window for shady but breezy desert
driving (would be nice on the TR3A someday too).

Added a third brake light to each car by splitting a set of WalMart
magnetic towing lights.  Connected with bullet connectors and sit
(magnetic) on the rear deck next to the gas cap.  Look butt-ugly so I
only use them when driving in SUV-laden traffic.

On the TR4 added a TR3 crankcase breather tube which has alleviated the
tendency to push oil out of every pore and seal.

On the TR3A use the steering box top with a spring-loaded adjusting
screw available from Herman Van den Akker.

Use 6mm wheel spacers (now available in the Moss catalog I see) so I can
switch back and forth between disc & wire wheels.  Someday I'll go to an
event with discs on one side and wires on the other and sees who notices.

That's about it.

Geo Hahn