Fw: por-15

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: por-15
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:27:53 -0400
>> Looking for a collective opinion
>> por-15 use on the chassis, with or without the recommended undercoat?
>> Only
>> prep work will be a power wire brushing.
>> what about under the fenders? por or body color?
>> thanks
>> Frank
>> 58 TR3

 Frank,

 POR-15 is incredible stuff, though others (i.e., Eastwood) may make great
 stuff too.  I restored the frame of my '59 TR3A by the same method, wiring
 brushing (albeit a wire wheel on a drill).  I brushed the POR-15 directly
 onto the metal, after first soaking in Simple Green, rinsing well, then
 treating with phosphoric acid (Metal Ready, I believe, is the term POR-15
 sells this as).  Someone here said you can buy phosphoric acid from an
 agricultural supply, where it's sold to clean calcium from milking
machines.
 But so happens I stopped at Agway here in New Hampshire this weekend, and
 they didn't carry it.  Whatever that means.  I have bought some at a Marine
 Supply dealer.

 If you care, it is true that POR-15 fades from the beautiful gloss black
 that it first appears as.  You may want to topcoat per directions.  For me,
 it's under the car and not worth the effort.

 Terry Smith
 '59 TR3A  TS 58667  (2 + year body off restoration:  first part of the body
 back on yesterday!)
 New Hampshire