A-Type OD Question

To: fergie@ntplx.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A-Type OD Question
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:24:45 EDT
Michael Ferguson and list,

The adjustment of the operating valve/solenoid is vital to both the operation
and
life of the unit.
 The factory use of the test peg was an exacting way to do this.

Many years of wear and abuse can make this method no longer good enough.
The adjustment lever can get bent and or loose on the valve cross shaft.  The
internal cam and bottom end of the pencil valve can wear, as can the top part
and seat where the ball seats.  The ball may have been replaced with a
non- 5/16" dia one.

After many years of building and racing these units, I set the operating valve
so that the ball lifts  0.0312" with the solenoid energized.
 Remember to relieve the oil pressure before you remove the plug above the
valve.
 I have a six point socket for the plug, as it is made of soft metal.

Too little or to much lift will wear the  wet clutch and, too much can burn
out the
solenoid as well.  Close is not good enough.

Hardy Prentice