Re: A-Type OD Question

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: A-Type OD Question
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 19:02:18 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Internal to the lever that is used for setting (the little hole) is the actual
release lever.  This is inside the case, and is pinned to the operating shaft
(which runs through the case from the setting lever to the solinoid lever.)
This internal lever pushes a little rod that goes to the pressurized chamber,
and pushes a steel ball bearing up.  With the ball pushed, the pressurized
reservoir is released to the operating pistons.  I suspect that the lever
internal to the setting lever has come loose.  Alternatively, the release ball
is incorrect, or the rod is bent.  Both of these are unlikely.  Still, you will
need to pull the OD apart, or majorly adjust at the solinoid end.   Danger of
this is that if the lever continues to slip, you will get incomplete engagement,
and this is a sure-fire way to destroy your OD!