A-Type OD Question

To: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: A-Type OD Question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:37:56 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Michael Ferguson"
>Well, it looks like I FINALLY got my OD to work! Manually at least.
Haven't
connected the electricals yet and with my track record, It'll probably take
me another 6 weeks! (Just let it go, Fred..)

Question though...when I operate the valve lever on the right side of the
OD
box, I have to push it a good 1/4" PAST the alignment hole. I feel no
resistance until I get to the hole (the 3/16" one used to adjust the
solenoid). Have to push the lever another 1/4" or so to engage the OD. The
only thing I can think of that would cause this is the cam on the OD
operating shaft is either worn or is somehow not lined up where it should
be.
<

This is typical manufacturing tolerances in the 50's, Mike.  Remember that
the solenoid operates a lever connected to a shaft that rotates.  Inside
the O/D the shaft rotates a cam that lifts a rid that pushes up on the
valve that jack built... er the valve the engages the overdrive.  The shaft
continues out the other side of the casing and another lever is attached
that is used for initial adjustment.

If the cam inside is not in the proper place (withing very close
tolerances) OR if the rod is a little short OR if the indicator lever on
the other side is not in the proper position the O/D won't engage with the
holes lined up.  I've run across this several times and the best results
are with about 1/8 inch of additional travel beyond where you feel the
increase in resistance.

Forget the book.

Congrats.

Dave