Re: TR4's vs 6's

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: TR4's vs 6's
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:23:33 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 23-Jun-99 12:34:13 Eastern Daylight Time, spitlist@gte.net
writes:

> I was under the impression that all TR4A's rolled down the assembly line
>  with both Live axle and IRS rear suspension packages bolted on at some
>  stage of the buildup and not down different assembly lines.  This means
>  that the TR4A frames were made to adapt to either live axle or IRS
>  suspensions depending on the dealer (or owner) preference.
>
>  Was the TR4A frame redesigned to accomodate both assemblies over the TR4
>  which only had the Live Axle, or am I "All Wet"?

Joe,  good point.  Remember that the TR4A frame was DESIGNED FOR IRS.  IRS
could not be accomodated on the older TR2/3 or TR4 chassis and when Triumph
decided to go to IRS they had to redesign the frame.  They only went to "live
axle" TR4A after much pressure from N. American dealers.  The frames for a
TR4 and a TR4A look completely different.  (The TR4 and TR4A body tub and
most panels are identical.  Trim is a little different.)
BTW - The TR4A frame also continued right on through the TR6.

According to all my references -- the "live axle" TR4A was a MODIFIED TR4A
frame.    To modify the new, AS DESIGNED, TR4A frame new brackets (to fit the
older type semi-elliptic springs) needed to be welded on the chassis rails
AND the welded larger bridge piece (designed, as an integral part of the
frame, for the independent springs and axles of the IRS) in the rear of the
TR4A frame was removed so that the solid axle could go across the chassis.
BUT it does make sense that they would just not install (weld) the
bridgepiece but instead leave it off and weld on the brackets for the older
type springs.  What ever they did it still was a MODIFIED TR4A frame.  When
the chassis rolled off it was either IRS or "live axle."  Hence the comm #
was applied as CTC or CT.

I said nothing about different TR4A assembly lines and don't think that would
have been necessary or desired.  Maybe Jonmac can give us the real scoop on
EXACTLY when and how they modified the TR4A frames to accept the "live axle."
 Cheers.

Art Kelly