Re: TR4's vs 6's

To: Johntr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4's vs 6's
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:05:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 Johntr6@aol.com wrote:

> I'm a long-time 6 owner who is presently looking at a 65 TR4. Needs work but
> not a total restore. Aside from the stylish Michelotti body, does anyone out
> there speak strongly for this model? Some call it a "transition", and there
> isn't much difference mechanically from the TR3's, is there? The 4 cylinder
> is nice and simple, but speed and acceleration don't measure up to previous
> and later models, according to what I've read. Can one squeeze more
> compression from the block? Can it be made into a lively little car?     Any
> comments?    John

No, not much difference mechanically- but that body makes quite a
difference.  The spare tire is in the trunk, not in a cubby.  The hood
(bonnet) is bigger, and lets you get at more of the engine.  It's a few
inches wider than the TR3.

As for the TR6, probably quite similar; not too many parts are shared
however.  The 4 cylinder has got about the same amount of oomph found in
the 6 in stock trim; you can get up to 150HP with the 4-banger but it will
probably go 'bang'.

My TR4 won't win many drag races, can't outhandle a Honda Civic
(regardless of the stickers on said Honda Civic)- but it's a blast to
drive, and I'm keeping it.

I may get a TR6 someday if the opportunity presents itself (One thing at a
time!!).  Same applies for TR3.  Might even get a Spit or a GT6.  And a
Standard Atlas!!  And a Stag!  And a Herald!!!

*ahem* sorry.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm