Re: TR4's vs 6's

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4's vs 6's
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:02:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Joe, Art, and List,

Having pulled apart my 65 4A CTC 53***L (damn, no "O") for restoration,  I
can address this issue.

There are many small diferences between a TR6 and TR4a frame, ost dealing
with the area of the breast plate / driveshaft hoop area, and with the
engine mounts (ask me about putting a TR6 frame on a 4).

On the rear, however, all TR4a' s have a shackle mount on the frame near the
rear bumper  to frame mounting bracket.  You will also notice that there are
a second set of holes under the trailing arm mounting brackets.  Combined,
these two locating points form the front and rear of the leaf spring mount.
that's that one done.

I am unaware of the answer to the diff mounting issue.  I do not think the
diff mounting pins would have been removed (as the pumpkin could easily sit
inside their perimeter).  If so, there is credence to the "just throw  the
live axle on during the build up"  theory.  Jonmac can likely elaborate.  My
readings suggested that the live axle was also offered as a REDUCED COST
option for 2 reasons:  simpler and,  "them damn 'mericans don't need tweet
for handling while driving on them big ol straight roads, why make them pay
more for the "good" handling car".

How ironic that the IRS cars are NOT preferred for racing because they're
more complex and do not need to give benefit of long or independent
suspension travel since racing takes place on smooth surfaces.  And,
considering  all the problems we seem to have with sticking half shafts,
hidden u joints,  toe change indiced oversteer, etc etc etc,  maybe they're
not better on the street either  (I can't wait for the flames to start on
this one...)  why didn't they just design it "properly"  like BMW (and then,
Datsun) with a chapman strut and a modified frame so there was suspension
travel?  OK, while I'm on it,  why not the V8 as well and make it a Tiger
eater?  How 'bout....OK, enough of my day dreaming already, we got what we
got.  A complete TR6 rear suspension will drop into any TR4a.  Whatever.

Dave T
needing an excuse to pull on  the Nomex
Winnipeg