Re: Workbench and shelf building

To: dynamic@transport.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Workbench and shelf building
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:17:23 EDT
dynamic@transport.com writes:

>  Any economical yet effective ideas would be tremendously appreciated.

Pete,

I think I may have just the thing for you!  I built my garage and workshop
about 25 years ago, and they and the workbenches have served me well. The
workbenches can be built in an easy weekend by an unskilled carpenter, if you
have access to a table saw. Start on friday after work, and load it up with
your tools and "stuff" on sunday afternoon (including painting). I have
worked on engine blocks on the bench, so they are plenty sturdy. The
workbench uses nothing but 3/4" plywood for the top and shelves, 1/4"
masonite to cover the plywood top, 1/4" plywood for the doors, and 2 X 4s for
the frame. EASY to make!

I use sliding doors under the benches rather than hinged doors to accomodate
my sloppy work habits. By using sliding doors, I can still get to things
under the bench even if the floor in front of them is cluttered with Triumph
parts. The one drawback is that I can only access one half of each cabinet at
a time by sliding the door open, but I made the doors removable to get around
that. The doors slide in grooves at the top and bottom, so I just slip the
doors up and out, and I have full access to the contents. When it's time for
a major clean up, I can stack the doors in a corner, and have complete
unfettered acess to every thing on the shelves under the bench.

If you are interested, I will see if I can find some photos of them to scan
and send to you, and if you think that is something you would like, I'll see
if I can dig up the sketches I made and send them to you.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74