Re: Workbench and shelf building

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: Workbench and shelf building
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:41:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> I'm seriously sick and tired of my messy garage.  I'm ready to do some
> serious work in there to create a suitable mechanikin' environment, with
> good bench surfaces and storage shelves.  Trouble is, I'm not really a
> carpenter.  Nor do I have carpenter's tools (no... really?).

You could spend a little or a lot on carpenter's tools.  Depends on how
much you like toys.  I think a skilsaw and a drill are about the only
power tools I consider must-have, and a square, level, and string-line
among the first hand tools to garner up.

> My question is, does anyone have any slick, simple, STURDY and
> easy-to-build ideas for constructing shelves and workbenches?  Or, does
> anyone have any cool internet resources for same?  I've visited the
> "Ultimate Garage" website (www.ultimategarage.com) and it's cool but hey...
> I'm not a millionaire!!

You can buy prefabbed metal shelving that is OK for light stuff.  If you
have a bit of the ol' engineer in you, you can weld up a set.  Or make
them out of wood- Plywood is good, OSB is not, solid wood will do if you
can get good stuff.

For a workbench I used 2x6, 2x8 and 2x10 planks- these are actually 2"
thick instead of those wimpy 1-1/2" ones you get from the hardware store.
It took a bit of searching to find someone with a mill in my case.  I used
2x4s for the legs and stringers.

For a quick and dirty benchtop, get an old solid-core door and hang legs
underneath it.  I find a good tabletop height is about 32-34", but you
should make it fit the task (higher for a lathe, lower for something to
sit at... be creative).

> I've got a 22 X 24 foot garage and two cars.  Currently I have absolutely
> NO built-in shelving.  I would like to sheetrock the interior walls, paint
> the floor with gray epoxy, and build shelves and benches, and install
> decent overhead lighting.  Somehow.  I don't even know if I can do it,
> skill-wise.

I would also make sure that you have lots of electrical outlets, high up
off the ground (maybe 6" above your bench top)- it's not good to have
spaghettilike extension cords running around your shop.  I like being able
to plug in my magnifier lamp and my angle grinder right on the bench,
without having to go wriggling into the dank depths of "under the bench".

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm