Re: Workbench and shelf building

To: "Pete & Aprille Chadwell" <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: Workbench and shelf building
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:18:34 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Home Depot have some very nice industrial style shelves that can be
assembled with no tools.  I bought four sets for my garage and they are
great.  As for a workbench, I decide upon the size of the work top, then
build a rectangular frame from 2X6s (on edge) to allow for a one inch
overhang front and sides.  I then attach the back of the bench directly to
the garage wall, resting it on and securing it to a ledger board attached to
the 2X4s at the correct height.  The front of the bench is supported with
4X4s attached to the inside of the 2X6 frame.  The top is then attached.  I
have used several different materials for tops - a piece of countertop works
nicely if you are not doing any heavy work on the bench, or 2X6s laid side
by side, or an old solid core door makes a nice benchtop.  Remember to lag
bolt or screw everything together - a nailed bench will eventually loosen
up.