Re: Monza: HOW LOUD?

To: Joe Merone <jmerone@vtetv.org>
Subject: Re: Monza: HOW LOUD?
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:23:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Merone wrote:

> Although my exhaust system is in fine shape and the TR6 sound is
> the best I've ever heard on the road I just can't get past the
> fact that the Monza exhaust system looks so damn good on a TR6.

> So while "Trevor" is on the blocks getting new rear bushings
> and a diff mount kit installed I thought I might as well spring
> for the new exhaust now while I'm at it.  But in my 13 years of
> LBC motoring I can honestly say that I've never had a ride in a
> Monza equipped TR6 to give it a listen.  Really now guys and
> gals... HOW LOUD are they?

This is really a matter of personal preference, but my opinion
is that the Monza exhaust is too LOUD for a car that you plan
to drive any distances over about 15 miles on the highway.

On back country roads, the LOUD exhaust is a lot of fun on
a pleasure spin.  It's also a lot of fun to hear it reflected
back when going under an overpass.  It also makes double-clutch
downshifts that much more enjoyable.  However, I use my TR6 as a
daily driver on a 45 mile round trip commute each day to work, and
the stock TR6 exhaust is still loud enough to enjoy the pleasant
burble of those six cylinders.

The Monza system try is LOUD.  Even at 65mph on the highway, it is
LOUD enough to practically drown out the wind noise.
Conversation with somebody else in the car becomes a shouting
match.  If you take the TR6 on a trip of more than 2 hours, my
experience (and that of my wife) is that you will end up with a
headache before you reach your destination.

I've had the Monza exhaust on my '74 TR6 for the two years since
I bought it.  But, it is in decent shape, and I haven't been able
to justify taking it off the car solely because of the noise.
However, the TR6 is currently undergoing surgery to repair a cracked
front right diff mount, and so the Monza exhaust is being replaced
with a stainless steel stock-style exhaust.

That said, the Monza exhaust is fun, and always attracts attention
any time you pull into a parking lot.  It also means that anybody
that knows you can always tell when you've pulled into the driveway,
even if they have all the windows and doors of their house closed.
If they don't know you, they run outside to see what is wrong!

The one advantage I can think of is that the LOUD exhaust
may help compensate for the small size of the car, and make
you more noticeable when driving on the highway...  :-)

--ken
'70/'74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com