[Top] [All Lists]

gate or ball valve for house water lines?

Subject: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: Mark Andy <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:28:46 -0400 (EDT)

So what's the general group think on which type of valve to choose for 
house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the little 
handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?

I _hate_ having all these old valves in our house (built in the 50's) that 
can't be shut off /on without leaking around the stem.  Don't talk to me 
about tightening packing nuts either... On the old valves, I can tighten 
the damn things until I think I'm going to snap something and they still 
leak a little.

Are the 1/4 turn ball valves better in this respect?  Basically I want a 
valve I can leave fully on or fully off for 30 years then need to shut it 
off and expect it to work flawlessly.

Any pointers?


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>