[Top] [All Lists]

Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?

Subject: Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: Richard Beels <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:08:47 -0400
Ball valves all the way.

Someone pointed out that they can be tricky to adjust flow, which is 
true if you don't practice a bit.  It helps to take an uninstalled 
one and while looking through the ends, manipulate the handle to 
figure out the "crank angle/flow rate curve" in your mind.

One thing that's annoying is the long handles can be nudged and then 
the flow starts.  I replaced many of the handles with shorter handles 
that are 'balanced' across the pivot point of the valve.  I can't 
think of the names but you turn them with the thumb & forefinger in a 
winding motion (like an oven timer).

At 08-29-2006 at 10:28, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Mark Andy's 
keyboard and said:

>So what's the general group think on which type of valve to choose 
>for house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the 
>little handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?
>I _hate_ having all these old valves in our house (built in the 
>50's) that can't be shut off /on without leaking around the 
>stem.  Don't talk to me about tightening packing nuts either... On 
>the old valves, I can tighten the damn things until I think I'm 
>going to snap something and they still leak a little.
>Are the 1/4 turn ball valves better in this respect?  Basically I 
>want a valve I can leave fully on or fully off for 30 years then 
>need to shut it off and expect it to work flawlessly.
>Any pointers?


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>