[Top] [All Lists]

RE: gate or ball valve for house water lines?

To: "Shop Talk" <>
Subject: RE: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: "PJ McGarvey" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:19:31 -0400
I've always heard ball valves are better.

You only seem to see the old gate valves mostly on older homes (like mine,
which leak) new work seems to mostly be ball valves.


> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:28:46 -0400> From:> To:> Subject: gate or ball valve for house water lines?>
> > Howdy,> > So what's the general group think on which type of valve to
choose for > house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the
little > handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?> > I _hate_ having all these old
valves in our house (built in the 50's) that > can't be shut off /on without
leaking around the stem.  Don't talk to me > about tightening packing nuts
either... On the old valves, I can tighten > the damn things until I think I'm
going to snap something and they still > leak a little.> > Are the 1/4 turn
ball valves better in this respect?  Basically I want a > valve I can leave
fully on or fully off for 30 years then need to shut it > off and expect it to
work flawlessly.> > Any pointers?> > Mark
Express yourself with gadgets on Windows Live Spaces

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>