Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:08:29 -0500
Be sure what material you are working with. Are you sure it is PVC?
Since a hot tub will deal with hot water, CPVC may be what is installed.
See if you can find any markings on the pipe or fittings that say what
the material is. PVC and CPVC use different glues and cleaners. There
are some glues out there that say they are "universal", which to me
means they work "sort of" on all the materials and not as well as the
glue and cleaner that is designed specifically for that one material.

If the leak is more than just seepage, you might try drying the
connection really (after emptying the tub), then pull a vacuum before
you apply the cleaner and glue. That would help pull the cleaner and
glue a bit farther into the fitting.

All in all, I  would put my $$ on the putty repairs, whether it is
Epoxy, POR-15, or JB weld.

Peace,
Pat