Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:29:38 -0400
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> dave rann wrote:
>
>> If I didn't want to do it right
>

>   ...well, I guess part of my question is "how to fix it right". If I
> could open the pipe and reseal the joint that would be my first
> choice, but I'm not sure if that's possible.
>
>   There isn't really any place to cut the pipe where I could put on a
> fresh piece and a fresh new joint. One side of the joint is the filter
> case which is fiberglassed in, and the other side goes to a pipe which
> disappears into the expanding-foam underbelly.
>
>   The only way I could fix it more "right" would be if there was some
> way to open this joint without destroying it. Possible?

There is no way to "unglue" it.  The "glue" is actually a solvent which
melts the PVC and welds the pieces together.  Get a can of PVC cleaner
and a can of PVC cement.  Clean the seam and flood it with the cement
trying to force the cement into the seam.  Note the cement has a short
working time.  I would try this first; worse thing is it doesn't work.