Re: Welder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>
Subject: Re: Welder
From: "John Loftin" <john.loftin@ccmail.eo.ray.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 96 08:28:10 EST
     Do yourself a favor.  Go ahead and get a MIG.  For under $500, there
     are several nice home MIG welders on the market.  You will appreciate
     the superior weld quality of the MIG.  Besides, how much money are you
     going to spend on your frame-off?  Why save a few dollars on a piece
     of equipment that will last a lifetime?

     I have never used a "Mini-Mite" welder, but as a Welding Engineer I
     know the ease of use and weld strength of the MIG will be much better
     than an arc weld.  Get a MIG that uses a shield gas (argon, CO2).  I
     have seen welds made by flux covered wire.  There is a night & day
     difference between flux covered and gas-shielded welds.  Yes, the gas
     bottle can be a hassle but you get what you pay for.  For home
     welding, dollar-for-dollar, you can't beat a gas-shielded MIG weld.