Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD

To: Douglas Ormrod <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Subject: Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:09:15 -0800
Douglas,

I made up a pre oiler to ensure that oil is distributed through out the
engine, prime the pump and build up oil pressure all in one prior to the
first start of the engine after overhaul.  I took a 1.5 gallon garden
sprayer, removed the spray wand and attached it to a 'T' type of oil
union from a late MGB, that can be installed in place of the union
between the flex hose from the block and the simi flexable pipe to the
oil gauge.  I then put four quarts of oil in the sprayer and proceded to
pump the pressure up.  Within a short time I had a small pressure
showing onthe oil pressure gauge and after about 15 minutes, the four
quarts of oil were in the engine.  I then reconnected the original union
and started the engine, with full oil pressure.  Since then, I modified
the top of the sprayer such that I can pressurize it from my air
compressor rather than standing there pumping until my arm falls off.
Regarding air in the line to the gauge, it is not a worry, any air left
in the pipe will just compress to whatever pressure the system is
working at and the gauge will indicate that pressure.  Over time, the
air will eventually work out and even if it doesn't, it won't cause any
problem.  If you are really worried about it, just disconnect the pipe
from the rear of the gauge and crank the engine over until you get a
spurt of oil out.  You won't have any air left in the pipe (of course
there will still be air in the Bordon tube in the gauge, but again, it
doesn't matter as the tube responds equally well to air pressure or oil
pressure).

Cheers,
Dave