Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:19:18 -0500
Bob D
   True, it does take a bit longer for pressure to pump up when engine
has been unused for a month, but it should snap up to full pressure with
1/2 second or so.   To minimise that time when pressure is not pushing
oil to valves or to the gauge, I spin the TD on its starter for a few
seconds before switching on ignition.  It probably makes no difference in
rate of wear, but I feel better for doing it.
    Some believe that synthetic oils leave an oily film on metal surfaces
that stay longer than the film of conventional oils. If that's true, it
is an argument for using synthetic oil in these engines that are not run
for several weeks at a time.
   Perhaps someone has seen factual information on this?
Bob