Re: Roadster middle-age crisis

To: Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Roadster middle-age crisis
From: "David R. Conrad" <konadave1@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:20:41 -1000
On Wednesday, January 10, 2007, at 06:08 PM, Paul Bauman wrote:

>  ...a trail of oil running thought the parking lot and
> ending in my parking space. I have a 1600, so you probably know where
> this
> is going --- the rear crank seal blew and the beast was bleeding 40
> weight
> like a stuck pig.

Paul, I certainly have empathy.  But, I'm a bit mystified...

If we are talking about the rear main crankshaft seal, I haven't
experienced (or heard of) one failing in the manner you're describing.
I (partially) replaced mine in 1989, but didn't do the top half of the
rope seal because I had a time constraint and feared that I wouldn't be
able to get the top back in if I removed the existing.  What I did do,
the bottom, and the side seals, did largely eliminate leaks at that
time.  Now though, 17 years later, I'm having to use a drip pan under
the Datsun in my garage. :-(

The type of gross leak you're describing suggests something other than
the rear main seal.  Since yours is pre '68, it can't be the oil
pressure sensing line, but I cannot envision another potential source.

I'll follow what you find with interest; hopefully, it is NOT the rear
main, requiring engine removal.

Good luck!

Dave
'68 1600