Re: $295 tensioner

Subject: Re: $295 tensioner
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:35:45 -0500
Brian,

Do you remember the days of $8 pistons for the U20? No, I am
not kidding.  Datsun parts, better yet NISSAN COMP, were great
stuff and dirt cheap!

The forklift engines are still being built and sold. Forklift
and stationary engines are much more cost driven than our U20
engines!

One trick on the early Forklift motors is one valve spring, which
begins to float around 1,500 rpm! Motor's are good for 6,000 rpm
as I remember a H20 fitted '68 in Bakersfield that I spotted about
10 years ago. Very nicely done car, and moved nicely.

Gearing changed on the later forklifts, but still common to see
them limited to 3,000 rpm.

Haven't found one yet, but seriously thinking of buying a forklift
for the "barn raising" of the shop. Limited funds, limited time.
Seems like a quad mast forklift would be just the thing for getting
drywall up to the second floor, and shingles up on the roof. Funny
part... the Nissan and Toyota Forklifts carry a premium on the used
market. Also if I get a 60" forks, with a 4000# capacity... makes for
a nice lift for the roadster! <grin>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1760131323

In all honesty I'll use the Land Cruiser & winch for some lifting
operations, but will have drywall delivered to the second story
(very common from building suppliers to do that... just need to
remember to leave part of a wall open!)

Tom