Not a trick question

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not a trick question
From: "Thomas J." <tomph@ispchannel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:48:14 -0400
Hi All,

Got a question here that I hope someone can shed some light on. I have two
roadsters here that came from different parts of the country and both have
the same two holes poked into them. One car is is the race car I'm working
on and the other is 67.5 SRL #443. The holes are exactly 1-1/2 inches behind
the the center of the hood latch on the front cowl and each is exactly 3
inches to either side of this 1-1/2 " point. Both holes are about 1/4" in
diamter and appear to have been made by driving a pointed object through the
metal. No drill was used (unless they drove it through with a hammer).

Now, if they were on one car I wouldn't give it a second thought. I'd just
weld them and be done with it. But on two cars, in the exact same place????
Anyone have any idea why some POs would do this. I can't figure it out. The
holes don't give any access to anything I can see and poke through in front
of the firewall. They are also covered up when the hood is closed.

This is not a trick question and I really don't have an answer. Has anyone
else come across this. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom P
Hendersonville NC