OT - Nissan Service or lack of

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT - Nissan Service or lack of
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:46:09 -0700
Sigh... today my wife and daughter dropped off 2 of our cars to Serramonte
Nissan for service.. We picked up the '98 Altima first, before driving off I
showed my daughter how to check out the work. Started going down the
maintenance checklist that the mechanic filled out. All the boxes down the
list were checked off with ink, the work hadn't been done. We collared the 3
guys that do the write-ups and really let them have it. One says "oh, the
checkoff will say as needed and new cars don't often need it."

I cut him off and shoved the checklist in his face, pointing out that that
most of the items don't say as needed, it says that they did it, as in
"lubricate door hinges" and "add washer solvent" etc. Dirt on the hinges and
hood latch and other areas indicates that nothing was done. With 51,000 miles
on it, it's obvious to me that it needs the work. The windshield washer tank
was empty and they don't think it needs topping off? We said that not one item
on that list of 31 items should be checked off if the work wasn't done, and
it's a lot more than one. The car went back into the shop.

This has happened to us several times. One time they told me it was an
isolated incident and the mechanic was fired. Some shops (maybe a lot
according to surveys) prey on women, taking their money and not performing the
work. Show your wives and daughters how to check the condition of the car
before taking it in, and what to look for when they pick up the car after
servicing. It's your money, make them work for it. We've got a letter going to
Nissan corporate.

Got to pick up the 300ZX next. Items complained about in the last 3 visits are
still bad, despite a full warranty. This is why I like working on the
roadsters myself, as I know exactly what was done. Thanks for letting me blow
off steam...

Fred