Re[2]: Which is number 1 cylinder?

To: bob_wilson@agilent.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Davesmbox@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: Which is number 1 cylinder?
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:55:02 -0800
Right on the firing order.

However, my experience with the 2000 engines is that #1 can be either at
the front or at the rear of the distributor, 180 degrees different. There
are a couple ways that the orientation can change. There is a gear with an
offset slot, I believe it drops into the hole below the distributor in
approximately the 11:25 position. The offset slot can have the small half
moon above 11:25, or below 11:25 position.

The bottom of the distributor shaft has a matching piece to fit in that offset
slot, and it can be oriented in two positions 180 degrees off from each other.
That piece is mounted on the distributor shaft with a pin and a retaining spring
to hold the pin in place.

The only way to be sure as to whether your #1 position of the distributor cap
should be facing towards the radiator or towards the firewall, is to remove the
valve cover and match the orientation of the valves at 0BTDC timing position. On
a 2000, that means that #1 firing position is when both camshaft lobes are
pointing up in a rabbit ears orientation.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC