Re: Metal Polishing

To: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>,
Subject: Re: Metal Polishing
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:45:36 -0500
Brian,

Use plenty of compound as that's what does the cutting not the wheels.
Plenty of passes rather than keep it in one spot as you'll create an uneven
surface. Don't use too much pressure as you should let the compound do the
cutting and you don't want to slow the buffer down. The faster it spins the
better it polishes.

Heat buildup is a by-product of polishing so wear thick leather gloves. The
metal will never get hot enough to get discolored from the heat. Always keep
the piece you're polishing on the "down side" of the wheel and watch out
when coming close to the edges. If you do it wrong the wheel will take that
piece outta your hand and fling it across the room! That's another reason to
wear thick leather gloves!!!!!!

As for the trim it's hard to really polish those out because of the ribs and
due to the fact that they really get messed up after all these years.
They're also very thin. Take your time and don't expect miracles.

Mike