Re: JY motors for custom

To: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>,
Subject: Re: JY motors for custom
From: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:50:46 -0800 (PST)
VG30 Information that I know. What year 300ZX depends
on the HP. 1984-85 are what I know. 160 HP 175 Torque.
Easy to get 200 with staright intake and free flow
exhaust. Hard to plumb exhaust as the motor wants to
dump out where the steering shaft comes out of the
interior. On a scale of 1 - 10 (1 easy 10 impossible)I
would rate it an 7. Now add a Turbo and 300 HP is
easy. Just pump up the boost. I love that part!

Don (going for 10 PSI) Miller
Meridian, ID
--- "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
wrote:
> Hey listers-
>
> Spent a couple hours in the junk yard yesterday
> looking at motors for the
> custom.
>
> Found some Datsun.  2 L18s, 6 VG30s, Z20, Z22, and a
> 4 cylinder with a
> stamped valve cover in a 200 ZX.
>
> They wanted 650 for a VG30E, 5 speed, and anything
> off the car I wanted.
> The car is a 300 ZX with 117,000 miles and it drove
> to the JY.  It is
> undamaged with hood always closed, so no water
> damage.
>
> VG30 questions for Don and VG guys:
> How much does it weigh -
> How much HP and torque (non-turbo) is possible (I
> want 200)-
> How much to rebuild the motor and trans -
> Is the FI a pain to transplant -
> How is the fit in a Roadster -
>
> According to Grassroots Motorsports, the 3.8 Buick
> V6 is the perfect swap
> motor.  I called a Buick builder in AZ and they said
> they can get an easy
> 250 HP and 250 lbs torque.  They weigh 370 pounds.
> The JY had a bunch at
> 150 a pop.
>
> They wanted 350 for a high mileage T5 trans.  That
> seems high or is that the
> going price?
>
> Still like the aluminum Buick 215 V8 - that motor is
> too cool!
>
> Phil
> PS - I received my freebe copy of Grassroots
> Motorsports Via the net.  This
> mag is GREAT!!  Finally a sports car mag that is
> down to earth.  A must
> have!!  My subscription card is filled out!  Thanks
Chris.