JY motors for custom

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: JY motors for custom
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:52:59 -0600
Hey listers-

Spent a couple hours in the junk yard yesterday looking at motors for the
custom.

Found some Datsun.  2 L18s, 6 VG30s, Z20, Z22, and a 4 cylinder with a
stamped valve cover in a 200 ZX.

They wanted 650 for a VG30E, 5 speed, and anything off the car I wanted.
The car is a 300 ZX with 117,000 miles and it drove to the JY.  It is
undamaged with hood always closed, so no water damage.

VG30 questions for Don and VG guys:
How much does it weigh -
How much HP and torque (non-turbo) is possible (I want 200)-
How much to rebuild the motor and trans -
Is the FI a pain to transplant -
How is the fit in a Roadster -

According to Grassroots Motorsports, the 3.8 Buick V6 is the perfect swap
motor.  I called a Buick builder in AZ and they said they can get an easy
250 HP and 250 lbs torque.  They weigh 370 pounds.  The JY had a bunch at
150 a pop.

They wanted 350 for a high mileage T5 trans.  That seems high or is that the
going price?

Still like the aluminum Buick 215 V8 - that motor is too cool!

Phil
PS - I received my freebe copy of Grassroots Motorsports Via the net.  This
mag is GREAT!!  Finally a sports car mag that is down to earth.  A must
have!!  My subscription card is filled out!  Thanks Chris.