Re: Low windshield shell

To: Paul.Kort@marconimed.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low windshield shell
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:19:57 EST
In a message dated 02/16/2000 7:16:43 AM Mountain Standard Time,
Paul.Kort@marconimed.com writes:

 <Why don't you guys just buy a restored car which is a lot cheaper than....>
 Been there done that,
 '66 Mike

   Okay, I have heard this discussion several times on the list so I guess
it's
 time to throw in my 2 cents, which I always note is probably worth less than
 that on the open market, but on Ebay it may be worth quite a bit more!

   IF your desire is to have a car to drive and have fun with a minimal
 investment of time and money, buy the car somebody else restored.  It will be
 cheaper, less painful, and ready to drive the day you buy it.  Good luck if
 something minor goes wrong, because you'll be looking for some body to fix it
 since you really don't know the car.
   BUT, don't think you are then privileged to join in the conversations that
 start with "And this scar is from when I ..."!  I want to have all the
memories
 of restoring MY car, not memories of how much it cost to buy SOMEBODY's car.
 Also, if I had gone to my wife ( a very tolerable , loving wife! ) and asked
if
 I could have $5000 to buy a toy car, she would have asked that I didn't!  I
 started with an investment of $2000 for a driving 1600 and enough parts to
fill
 my Escort on the ride home from the PO.  Each year I have done a bit of work
and
 invested in a few more new parts.   I now have over $5000 invested, but
memories
 that are worth much more.

   My preference may never make as nice of a car as a frame off, powder
coated,
 almost new car, but, I will have plenty of memories of driving and working!
 Right now I am planning a ball joint replacement party at my place for March
 4th.  Looks like it will be standing room only for the event.  Dirty, greasy
 work; yes.  Costly; heck yes!  A day full of friends and memories; you better
 believe it!

 Paul
 OROC
 1969 SPL311-25812, a work in progress!

Paul,

I agree with you.  It really depends on where you get your kicks.  Some of us
actually like DOING the work on the cars; others just like HAVING  the cars.
To each his own, but I really like working on mine.

Joseph
70 1600
Warren ME