Re: 2000 rebuild

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, jvanslyke@ixpres.com
Subject: Re: 2000 rebuild
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 99 10:35:25 CST

>Should I replace the oil pump?  Datsun or someone else?

Datsun OEM.  Replace it. Cheap Insurance.

In reality, I'll open up the pump and inspect it. The bottom
plate is smooth when new, and will show signs of damage over the
years depending on how much junk got into it.

Since the timing chains love to grove the upper guide on engines
with lots of miles on them, it means all those metal particles have
gone through the pump (hopefully the filter will catch them).

So that bottom plate tells me quite a bit about the history of
the engine, oil changes, filter changes, and other information.

>Replace the water pump? Datsun or aftermarket?

Cheap Insurance. Even at $150.00 from the dealer, I just replace
it during a full rebuild, unless I know the history of the vehicle
(i.e. pump is only two years old).

>When I pull the engine out and take off the transmission, can the engine
>rest on the ground as is?

Yes. I like using a few blocks of wood to help support it.

>Anything specific I MUST replace no matter what (other than gaskets)?

Have a machine shop check out the cylinder head, and give it a
"Valve job". You'll need to drop of the valve stem seals when that
is done (they come in a full gasket set).

>Can the transmission be eyeballed for its condition?

Usually I can get an idea of the transmission from the condition
and contents of the drain pan after draining the oil.

'69 and '70 gear boxes had the improved 5th gear.  Earlier gear
boxes have the "pressed fit" 5th gear that gave grief, best to have
it modified while everything is out. Please do NOT have a "friend
with a welder" weld it up... check with one of the roadster part
houses for an exchange 5th gear.

> Should I be afraid of transmissions?

Nope. Just don't let it hit the windshield. ;-)

Other things to do while the engine it out:

I like to "detail" and clean everything.
I'll pull off the electrical ground straps, and clean them up,
the replace them.

If the engine compartment looks really bad, I have scrubed/cleaned
and painted everything black. No, not original but does help in
appearance. Fully restored, it is wonderful to pull everything and
paint it the original body color.

Brake Master Cylinder... check for the crack on the firewall. Stan
Chernoff sells a nice brace (recommended). Good time to reweld
the crack and install the brace.

One thing that takes me so long when working on the roadster...
when I pulled the water pump, I couldn't resist bead blasting
the water pump pulley. Primer, then repaint it (I use the GM corp
blue... mainly so all the dark blue parts look the same color, I
buy the same brand. Usually I am "touching up" different parts
at different times.

Ditto on aluminum items. Bead blasting makes it look nice. My
intake manifold sure looks better. ;-) Oh, don't forget to tap
out all threaded holes and wash everything like crazy as the
glass beads end up ever where.

On the 67 and earlier cars, I'll replace the heater control valve
and hoses while the engine is out.

Is it worth it... YES! Half my joy is from working on the roadster.
Very peacefull and a pleasure to work on a car that is clean! Yes,
I do steam clean the engine and can "work" on the car while keeping
my hands faily clean.

Cheers,

Tom